Thursday, November 11, 2004

 

Faith

The Lord has been working on me about faith lately. It takes not only a village but a lot of faith to raise a family. So many things can happen that seem out of my control (and of course I love to be in control) that I could just live in fear at all times. That is no way to live!

Today, my children and I are sick with colds. Even these mild illnesses seem to remind me that our good health is precious and perhaps at times tenuous. Illness can strike at any time and I realize that I should consider myself blessed that we are realtively healthy and free of any serious or chronic diseases. Instead of fear, I will choose to live in gratitude for all that we have been blessed with all that we have including our health.

Our days with our children are to be enjoyed with abandon. Fear is the absence of faith and I am working to react less out of fear and to act more out of love. I remember reading something a mother wrote about fear that has stayed with me for years and I often remind myself and my patients about it. Usually, when we are angry or upset with our children, fear is the culprit. From the heart-gripping fear of "Get out of the street right now! A car could have run you over!" to "If you do not learn to share now, no one will want to be your friend". We are afraid that our children will not succeed in school or in life, that they will be hurt in a thousand different ways, that they will let us down, that they grow up to hate us, that we may grow to dislike them.

Today, I reject the bondage of fear and embrace the day in faith.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?